Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Autograph Collection: Nate McLouth

It seems to have become fairly common in Braves circles to refer to Nate as "Pittsburgh Nate" when he's hitting. and "Atlanta Nate" otherwise. Honestly, I think he's done by the end of the season, if not before, regardless of his performance. I can see the Braves giving Jordan Schafer every opportunity to be the center fielder and leadoff hitter next year, or, again, later this season.

So, what to think of Nate then? He is certainly one of the more likable players on the team. (Does anyone remember his reaction to the Braves team leaving the field after he hit his game winning home run last season? Easily one of my favorite moments of a great season.) He seems to be hitting fine out of the 8 hole which is also nice. He's my wife's favorite Brave, and that's certainly a step up from Frenchy.

What has disappointed me is his performance in center. He seems to have a fear of throwing a baseball. That's not a fear I understand. (A fear of running into Jason Heyward? That I get.)

I hope Nate has a nice season and lives up to his talent and his past performance. I hope he gets a nice contract elsewhere.

1 comment:

Chris Mays said...

I noticed Derek picked one up as well. It is an awfully nice card.