Friday, December 3, 2010

Braves Collection: Glenn Hubbard

1983 Fleer

I'm not sure how long it was after my family moved from Memphis to Columbus, Georgia before I became a Braves fan, but it certainly wasn't long. It may have been after witnessing my first game on TBS. We moved to Columbus in the Summer of 1981 and I don't really remember much about the rest of that season.



During the break between the 1981 and 1982 seasons, I was visiting Peachtree Mall in Columbus with my Mom. For some reason, I decided to walk alone for a bit. I was no doubt sick of looking at stuff that had nothing to do with baseball. I walked down to my favorite store to browse at the time, Neil's Sporting Goods. (Remember when every home town had at least one local, non corporate sporting goods store?) When I got down to the west end of the mall, I noticed that a line had formed out in front of Neil's.

I spent a great deal of my time staring at baseball cards, but honestly, there were only about five or six players I could have picked out from the 1981 team. Well, when I saw the short guy at the table signing autographs I knew who it was immediately. There was no mistaking that beard. I waited my turn and Mr. Hubbard was kind enough to sign a Nike postcard with his picture for me.

Hubbie was let go by the Braves organization this past offseason. It's really too bad they didn't find a place for this guy somewhere in the organization.

I wish I knew where that postcard was.

No comments: