Sunday, December 19, 2010

Braves Collection: Garret Anderson

2010 Topps
There was just something about this guy that rubbed me the wrong way. Before coming to Atlanta, he was the very definition of a professional hitter. You certainly don't amass 2,500 hits in your career if you're a mediocracy. Well, with Atlanta, Garrett was very much, you know, OK. (At the time, he seemed much worse to me, but I have to admit, after watching the performance of the Altanta outfield in 2010, Anderson's 2009 season would have been an improvement.)

Now, I don't want to speak out of turn here and suggest that Anderson didn't put forth his best effort. I have no idea if that's true or not. He always seemed to be very much the professional. Still, after an entire season of seeing him fail to run down the fly ball and fail to beat out the close play at first, as a fan, it just wore on me. No matter what he did, his expression never changed. The next day ... he would still be in the lineup of course.

I don't know Garret Anderson. To me though, at least in 2009, it just didn't look like he cared very much about being baseball player.

No comments: