Sunday, October 24, 2010

Set Collection: 1987 K-Mart

I have this great love for baseball cards from the 1980s. It was amazing that almost every retail store that carried cards had either Topps or Fleer produce a short store set for them. In particular, I loved the 1987 K-Mart set. I didn't have the money to get many cards of the legends of the game, so whenever I could set with an Aaron or a Mantle, I was a happy kid. Make no mistake, the card companies didn't spend a lot of time on the design of these cards. No matter ... they were all great fun.


I've just finished recent biographies on Clemente and Aaron, and I'd love to read one on Gibson. Can anyone recommend one? I'd prefer not to get the book about both him and Reggie Jackson.

How can you not love the picture of Marichal's delivery?

Hey, that reminds me, I've still got that recent Mays biography on the shelf waiting to be read.

I do not, not, not like Yaz. To me, Johnny Bench will always be remembered as the host of the Baseball Bunch. Why isn't Frank Robinson usually mentioned among the greatest players? 

I rode on the same plane as Carew a few years ago. I watched a lot of baseball in the late 70s and early 80s, and I defy anyone who got to watch both Carlton and Ryan dispute my assertion that Carlton was the better pitcher. Hell, I don't even think it was close.

I used to love to read the various insults traded between Earl Weaver and Jim Palmer. Palmer is one of those guys who seems to get lost in the discussions about the best pitchers.  

Speaking of pitchers who were better than Nolan Ryan, I give you Tom Seaver. (I'm not a fan of Nolan, can you tell? Yes, I dislike a lot of really great baseball players.)

Well, here we have two players I cannot stand. No, Pops isn't on of them ... Pops rocks. Check out those sideburns! Boggs was a great hitter and Brett was just flat out one of the all-time greats, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.

Rickey likes that I'm a fan. Rickey says that's A-OK with him.

Murph is in a jacket? What?

Schmidt is in a jacket too? No no no no.

No comments: