Friday, March 6, 2009

I Don't Hate Tom Glavine

No matter how hard I have tried to hate Tom Glavine over the years, and believe me, I tried ... he was a Met! ... it just hasn't worked for me. Here are the two big reasons ...
  • The 14 consecutive division title streak was launched on Glavine's back in 1991 and 1992. His emergence was the single biggest factor. I am not trying to diminish the importance of Terry Pendleton's acquisition, the power numbers of David Justice and Ron Gant, the improved defense, or the superb pitching by Steve Avery, Charlie Liebrandt and John Smoltz, after he started seeing the shrink anyway. Still, Tom Glavine was the superstar who carried the team.
  • The single greatest moment in Atlanta Braves post-season history was a result of Tom Glavine's greatest performance. For eight innings in game 6 of the 1995 World Series, Glavine owned the Indians, the best offense in baseball. His one-hit performance, along with a superb outing in game 2, earned him the World Series MVP.
Yeah, I didn't like it any more than any other Braves fan when he signed with the Mets, but I got over it. I understand those who haven't. Still, it's not enough to erase the memories of 1991 through 2002. (We'll forget the 2002 post-season.)

No comments: