Monday, December 3, 2012

Completing Sets and a New Player Collection

I haven't been posting much, but wanted to share some of my good news with my fellow collectors. Over the past six weeks I have:

  • Completed my 1971 Topps set
  • Completed my 1972 Topps set
  • Made progress towards my 1973 (including the MIKE SCHMIDT ROOKIE!!!)
  • Made progress towards my 1977 Topps set
  • Completed my 2002 Topps Heritage set
  • Completed my 2004 Topps Heritage set
  • Started an Andrelton Simmons player collection
Not bad. Not bad. 

Next year, I don't see myself collecting any of the new Topps sets unless they undergo a major change in philosophy, but I'm weak and could always change my mind. (Actually, now that I think about it, I'll definitely go after the sticker book.) With the money I'll save on new Topps product, I can look to expand my Heyward, Simmons, Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz collections. I'll keep building the sets I've been working on and see if I can't start to make a dent in all of the Braves teams sets from the 50s and 60s.

Yes, I'm another guy who has been ranting nearly non-stop about Topps lately. No apologies. They've lost their way and I see only a small glimmer of hope for them in the future. When you've pissed off many of those that have been collecting your product the longest AND big time case breakers start to pull back, I'd hope the problem has become obvious. Sadly, I think that Topps most likely solution is to simply go further down the dumb-ass gimmick rabbit hole. Good luck with that.

No comments: