Friday, December 3, 2010

Time for Praise!!!

Since I have childishly ranted against Topps and the idiots who vote for the Hall of Fame over the past 24 hours, I thought I would throw a little praise towards the MLB Network, an organization that, frankly, it's usually easier to rail against. Still, when they get something right, they get it really right.


The best few hours I've experienced with the network are the first few hours they were on the air. They kicked things off by rebroadcasting Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series, complete with announcing alternating from the great Mel Allen to the best announcer in the history of the universe, Vin Scully. Of course, that type of programming sets a standard that's hard to live up to. Hell, they didn't even try. (Yes, I get you want to build up to the All Star game ... rebroadcasting all of the mini All Star game documentaries was a great idea ... but did anyone want to see an All Star Game Home Run Derby marathon???)


Still, as I said, when they get it right, they knock it out of the ballpark. On December 15th at 8pm, the network will air the long lost 7th game of the 1960 World Series. (Bing Crosby had the game recorded for himself since he was going to be performing in Europe. It was recently discovered by his family.)


If you are a baseball fan, you know the significance of this game.


If you don't, I doubt you're a baseball fan. (Well, not really, but you should.)


Set your DVRs baseball fans, this will be a good one.


(Here's a terrific write up about the surviving film of the game and here's a link to a book I'm hoping to find under the tree Christmas morning. This link is for my wife's benefit!)

No comments: