Saturday, December 25, 2010

Braves Collection: Jason Heyward

2010 Topps
I remember it well.

A few hours before the game, I went to the App Store on my iPhone and purchased the MLB At Bat application. I was travelling weekly to a client in Winter Haven, FL and thought it would be great to guarantee that I could, at the very least, listen to Jim Powell and Don Sutton call the Braves games while I was on the road. (I truly miss TBS during the baseball season.) 

Well, it was opening day and I had just found out that the Braves opener against the Cubs was being broadcast on ESPN. I tried to finish up in time to get back to my room to see the start of the game, but it wasn't to be. The game started as I was in the process of finishing up. I got to hear Derek Lowe starting this season in similar fashion to the 2009 season, and the Braves were already in a 3 - 0 hole. As I left the office, the Cubs were finally retired and the Braves were coming to bat. I now knew there was no way I could see the start of the game on TV because I had to pick up my dry cleaning and carry it back to the hotel. I figured I'd listen to the Braves first at bat, grab the dry cleaning and race back to the hotel.

Well, the Braves started hitting almost immediately. By the time I made it into the parking lot of the dry cleaner, Heap was on first, Chipper was on second, Prado was on third, and Troy Glaus had just struck out swinging and the Bravos were only down 3 - 1 with just one out. Yunel Escobar then drilled a ball to center scoring Prado and Chipper. The Braves young phenom strolled to the plate. This is what I heard.



I was, quite literally, screaming in the car. People leaving the dry cleaner were staring at me like I had lost my mind. It stands as one of the most memorable and exciting moments I've ever experienced as a baseball fan.

No comments: