Sunday, October 3, 2010

Surprise Purchase: A Strange Trip to the Card Store

About a week ago, it occurred to me that I haven't been to the little card shop I used to visit regularly in well over a year. The guys there always treated me great, so I decided I should stop in and maybe buy a few packs. So, I grabbed a couple of packs of T-206 and didn't get anything of note. While I was talking with one of the guys behind the counter named Dave, a strange man wandered into the store with four 660-count boxes of cards under his arm.

"My son is a bum", he told us. "He can't afford to pay his credit card bill but he can afford ball cards? I don't think so. I know these aren't worth anything but I thought you might give me $25 for them."

Dave cracked one of the boxes and pulled out a handfull of 2009 Bowman. He looked at me and said, "You want 'em? Give the man 25 bucks and their yours. I don't want to sort them."

My thought: "Why not?" So I gave the strange man 25 dollars and carried the boxes home.

Truthfully, I didn't expect much from the boxes. I figure the guy busted his wax, put the hits away and stuffed the rest of the cards in the boxes. There was nothing but 2009 Finest and 2009 Bowman in the four boxes, but, while all of the hits may not have been in the box, many of them still were. All in all, it turned out to be a fun way to drop 25 bucks.

Details to come ...

2 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

hit me up if you find any Braves doubles you don't need....

flywheels said...

I love hearing about stories like this. Can't wait to see what you got out of the box.