Thursday, August 26, 2010

Set Collection: 1971 Topps

I hope to finish building this set before I die, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I have so very few high numbers and stars that I get discouraged whenever I look at my want list. (You can see it in the want list links on the right.) I really would like to finish this set though. It's my favorite design of the 70s.

Ted Williams of the Major Fucking Leagues. If you don't get it, then you need to get yourself a copy of Ball Four and read it immediately. Don't finish this post. Go buy it now. I'll still be here when you get back.
Milt Pappas is primarily known as the guy the idiot Red received from Baltimore for Frank Robinson. You know, because they thought Robinson was washed up at 30. That would be right before Robinson won the Triple Crown. Pappas was also one of Leo Durocher's least favorite players.
It appears that a decision has been made and it is final. Ron Santo will be inducted into the Hall of Fame after his death so that he won't be alive to enjoy it. There's no rational reason for this decision, but there you go. Sorry dude, I'm pulling for you. With Pinella and Lee gone, you are just about the only thing left to like about the current version of the Cubbie franchise.
This is the closest thing I have to a true super star card in the set. Admit it ... those guys are pretty damn great.
This is how a checklist card ought to look from an older set. (I should point out that the marked out cards do not accurately reflect the state of my set.)
Just because I wanted to include Knucksie ...
I saved the best for last. THIS is what a hero looks like.

No comments: