Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Glavine Notes: On His Way Back?

Photo by Elb2000
Wednesday should give us a glimpse of Tom Glavine's future as a major league pitcher. Prior to the Braves-Mets showdown at Citi Field, Glavine intends to simulate a rehab start in the bullpen. If all goes well, he'd like to make at least two minor league rehab starts. He could be ready to join the Braves in time for their next road trip. Personally, I have mixed feelings about Tommy coming back. I cannot, obviously, hope that Glavine is injured. It's just that the Braves have a glut of starting pitching and room will have to be made on the roster for Tommy Hanson and Kris Medlen at some point soon. They are ready. Ironically, I think Glavine's presence on the roster could could help Hanson and Medlen, but, barring injury, there's no way all three could fit into the rotation. If it weren't for that little stint with the Mets, Tom Glavine would be my favorite player of all time. As it is, I only like Greg Maddux more. If he comes back, I will make a point of seeing him pitch in person one more time. I hope to one day make the trip to Cooperstown to see him inducted into the Hall of Fame (as I hope to for Maddux and that other guy). I just don't see how he he fits in on this team ... not when Hanson and Medlen look to be ready for the big time.

No comments: